Saturday, December 12, 2009

Eargasm - Albums in 2009

Because there is nothing of much interest being released in the next few weeks, I decided to put this out a little early. These are the best albums of 2009, and you need to check 'em out.

See my FULL 2009 list at rateyourmusic.com
-click on the album art below for Lala.com streams.

15.
Russian Circles
'Geneva'

rating: fasho.

One of the best instrumental records I've heard in a long time. These guys understand how to convey emotion through their instruments, and words would only screw it up.

Download: "Death Rides a Horse"


14.
Letting Up Despite Great Faults
'Letting Up Despite Great Faults'

rating: fasho.

I've really been trying to get into the shoegaze and concrete genres lately, and I'm really starting to like LUDGF. After the first listen, I felt like the tracks were a little too repetitive to make this list, but I've since changed my mind and can't get enough of the relaxation these guys promote in their electrically buzzy, ambient sound.

No Lala stream available.
Download: "In Steps" | "The Colors Aren't You or Me"


13.
A Day to Remember
'Homesick'

rating: fasho.

Through the first few months of the year, this was basically the only record I listened to. People can say what they want about ADTR... that they're too corny, too poppy, too repetitive - but I love this band. They're completely sincere in the music they play, and they love it almost as much as they love their fans... So I, love this record.


12.
iwrestledabearonce
'It's All Happening'

rating: fasho.

This is probably the heaviest record that I actually enjoy listening to. These guys (and gal) are vicious and don't give a f**k what you think about them. They strategically place a combination of genres in the craziest positions... it's just a really fun record to listen to.


11.
Dance Gavin Dance
'Happiness'

rating: fasho.

'Downtown Battle Mountain' will always be one of my favorite CDs... I've listened to it hundreds of times and it never gets played out, but when Jonny left and was quickly replaced... all so they could put out that awful self-titled release, I thought Dance Gavin Dance was done for sure... 'Happiness', however has equipped the new DGD with an intensely different sound, and they're not going anywhere.


10.
Blessthefall
'Witness'

rating: fasho.

We break into the top 10 with probably my most surprising release of the year, an album I expected basically nothing out of that I really, really like. I think because I've seen so many bad breakups turn worse I just expected this band to fall off, but they're better than ever. If you like the screamo/hardcore genre, you pretty much have to like this album.


09.
Kingdoms
'Daughters of Atlas'

rating: fasho.

Number 9 marks the best EP of the year for me, which means a lot because I loooove early EPs. These first few songs the band release are the ones they care about the most, the ones they want to try and form a good impression with, and the ones whose quality depends on how far they will go in the future, and Kingdoms did it right. The flow of this album approaches perfection, and I can't wait to see what they come out with next.


08.
The Color Morale
'We All Have Demons'

rating: yaysh.

Give it up. These guys have been playing shows at the local level for years and they're finally getting the recognition they deserve. This is the first 4.5 star release on the list, and it's for a number of reasons. Track 4 - "Humannequin", has everything it needs to make a run for song of the year and every other track on the record has its place too. From the most menacing screams and heavy breakdowns to uplifting vocal choruses, this was one of the most anticipated releases for me - and it definitely lived up to the hype.


07.
Closure in Moscow
'First Temple'

rating: yaysh.

I didn't know what to think when I first heard this album. It was like stumbling across a pile of gold pretty much, because it was the first thing to ever really strike me as "Volta-esque", and it blew me away initially and has only gotten better. I was also lucky enough to see them play live, and they sounded better on stage than they do on the album. They're also all super down to Earth guys... this is a band you need to follow.


06.
Miss May I
'Apologies Are for the Weak'

rating: yaysh.

Easily the best metalcore CD I've heard in years. Almost as mind-blowing as BMTH's 'Count Your Blessings', this album has been at the top of my list of things to listen to since I heard the first track. I also saw these guys live this year with The Color Morale, I Set My Friends on Fire and Attack Attack! and it was one of the most entertaining shows I've ever been to. Go get this album.


05.
mewithoutYou
'It's All Crazy! It's All False! It's All a Dream! It's Alright'

rating: yaysh.

Where do you start with mwY? One of the most amazing bands to see live led by one of the most amazing individuals in the music industry, they tear shit up as much as a few modest little Christian men can - It's pure emotional aggression and it's intense to be a part of. This album took a drastically different direction than many originally thought it would, but I'm all for bands changing it up and experimenting with different styles; and they did something right because this album never left the top 5 all year.


04.
The Dear Hunter
'Act III: Life and Death'

rating: absolutely.

The Dear Hunter have always been one of my favorite bands to follow since I first heard Act I. They have a uniquely addictive sound and they've finally mastered it with Act III. This album changes direction with each track... it's an up and down battle between tempos and styles, but it's awesome and I'm glad to have finally have an album of theirs that I can't stop listening to.


03.
The Fall of Troy
'In the Unlikely Event'

rating: absolutely.

My favorite band. End of discussion. A lot of people probably think this record is really lame because it's so different from the rest of what they've put out... but those people are just scared to like anything for its intrinsic worth. They're worried it's not heavy enough for their friends to like, or that Thomas is singing too much or Frank isn't screaming enough or whatever bullshit they can come up with just so they can be part of a scene of mindless followers that agree to like terrible music... but that's a rant I don't have the time to get into. Thomas accomplished what he wanted with this record and I can't get enough of their changing styles. Frank is the best thing that could have possibly happened to this band and Andrew is still the man... There is nothing The Fall of Troy can't do perfectly.


02.
Freelance Whales
'Weathervanes'

rating: absolutely.

Debut of the year. These guys are amazing. I really don't have much to say about them other than I can't stop listening to 'em. They found the perfect arrangement of accompaniment and melody and harmonization and just everything... it's just pleasant listening to this album. "Generator ^ 2nd Floor" is probably one of the most interesting songs lyrically that I have heard in a long time... I've only been listening to this for a month? or so... and it immediately jumped to one of my favorites of the year... these guys are going to be huge.


01.
Manchester Orchestra
'Mean Everything to Nothing'

rating: absolutely.

Andy Hull is a genius. He's a genius. He's a genius. I don't know how I managed to dismiss Manchester Orchestra until now... but in some ways I'm glad that I have been because now I have like 7 EPs and full-lengths combined that I have the pleasure of listening to. Did I say this guy's a genius?... Every song contributes to the overall theme of the record, and I've never felt such a strong emotion through music as I do in 'Mean Everything to Nothing'. I truly love this record, and really... no other record ever had a shot of getting #1 on this year's list.

No comments:

Post a Comment